Its been a long time. Haha, where do I start?
9 months in OCS, 3 months BMT, a grand total of 1 year as a trainee. And honestly I felt extremely lost as a newly commissioned officer. Why? well, firstly... the jump in rank is so extremely great. You don't get any reaction time. Before parade, you're a piece of shit. Then suddenly the parade ends, and you're a big fuck. Example. I have my course WO, whom I've been calling SIR all my cadet life, calling me SIR immediately after my commissioning parade. WHOA... that's what I call madness.
I suppose it all takes some getting use to. I'm more comfortable now with this SIR thing. But it still feels weird when regulars who are older than me and just happen to be of a lower rank calling me SIR. And I call them by name! Omg... there's a real struggle with principle there.
Alright, special request from my dear MEH MEH.
Categorised in MONTHS, to the best of my ability. Haha.
You've read about my Tango wing days, so I'm gonna start where I left off.
Pro Term, Stagmont Camp, Signal Institute.
65/06 SOCC (Signal Officer Cadet Course), Platoon 2, index 13.
SOCC was segmented into 3 phases. Namely, technical, tactical, and specialisation phase.
Technical: 10 weeks of uninterrupted HELL. Why? It's 10 unbelievable weeks of pure saturated studying. STUDYING. As in really STUDY. And I can safely say I ate more sweets during this period then my entire life. How the hell do you not fall asleep? Damn those lessons.
Tactical: transition into tactical phase was during Ex Scorpio, Ex Taurus, and culminates with Ex Gemini. Basically 2 full blown PLANNING exercises, in which I was almost bored outta my mind in the planning room with minimal sleep and intensed planning. Ex gemini would be our execution. Plan in the day, set off at 2359hrs. 3 day exercise that ended with a FRAGO (Fragmentation Order - basically meaning last minute order) that told us our tonner convoy failed to reach us and we're to route march back to camp... of course, bring the radio sets back as well. Tactical phase was the time they played with your mind. You were always expecting a FRAGO, a turnout, some sorta stunt to occur. Example. Ex LEO. The infamous exercise that was always kept secret, occured after our 16km route march. Yeah sure, 16km might be chicken feed, but with 15kg field packs, IT'S NOT SO HARD TO IMAGINE now is it? Heh. ended at 2am. Boarded the bus back to camp. All fell asleep. TURN OUT!!! Camo on!!! CASEVAC!!! TEKAN!!! And 01 x blue beret. Haha.
Ex LEO = Lead, Excel, Overcome. (OCS motto)
That's it with signal institute. Everything they did had a meaning, they don't just plonk a name just cause its fanciful. You'll understand later.
Taiwan. Ex SPITFIRE. Not just some fancy name too.
72km walk with a 4 men detachment carrying a 6 men load. 2 x radio sets.
WALK TILL YOU CAN WALK NO MORE.
oh,
SPITFIRE = Signal Proficiency Identification Test For Individual Result Evaluation
Chim. I know.
Shit, I better stop here don't wanna get into trouble with MSD for some blogging shit. Anyway the Ex I mentioned here are all published in the OCS book given to all graduands so I know it's safe to mention them. Heh.
If meh meh wants to know more I can tell him online. HAHA!!
2LT SHAWN HENG
HQ 4SAB Sig Coy Ops Offr
'It can't rain all the time...'
9 months in OCS, 3 months BMT, a grand total of 1 year as a trainee. And honestly I felt extremely lost as a newly commissioned officer. Why? well, firstly... the jump in rank is so extremely great. You don't get any reaction time. Before parade, you're a piece of shit. Then suddenly the parade ends, and you're a big fuck. Example. I have my course WO, whom I've been calling SIR all my cadet life, calling me SIR immediately after my commissioning parade. WHOA... that's what I call madness.
I suppose it all takes some getting use to. I'm more comfortable now with this SIR thing. But it still feels weird when regulars who are older than me and just happen to be of a lower rank calling me SIR. And I call them by name! Omg... there's a real struggle with principle there.
Alright, special request from my dear MEH MEH.
Categorised in MONTHS, to the best of my ability. Haha.
You've read about my Tango wing days, so I'm gonna start where I left off.
Pro Term, Stagmont Camp, Signal Institute.
65/06 SOCC (Signal Officer Cadet Course), Platoon 2, index 13.
SOCC was segmented into 3 phases. Namely, technical, tactical, and specialisation phase.
Technical: 10 weeks of uninterrupted HELL. Why? It's 10 unbelievable weeks of pure saturated studying. STUDYING. As in really STUDY. And I can safely say I ate more sweets during this period then my entire life. How the hell do you not fall asleep? Damn those lessons.
Tactical: transition into tactical phase was during Ex Scorpio, Ex Taurus, and culminates with Ex Gemini. Basically 2 full blown PLANNING exercises, in which I was almost bored outta my mind in the planning room with minimal sleep and intensed planning. Ex gemini would be our execution. Plan in the day, set off at 2359hrs. 3 day exercise that ended with a FRAGO (Fragmentation Order - basically meaning last minute order) that told us our tonner convoy failed to reach us and we're to route march back to camp... of course, bring the radio sets back as well. Tactical phase was the time they played with your mind. You were always expecting a FRAGO, a turnout, some sorta stunt to occur. Example. Ex LEO. The infamous exercise that was always kept secret, occured after our 16km route march. Yeah sure, 16km might be chicken feed, but with 15kg field packs, IT'S NOT SO HARD TO IMAGINE now is it? Heh. ended at 2am. Boarded the bus back to camp. All fell asleep. TURN OUT!!! Camo on!!! CASEVAC!!! TEKAN!!! And 01 x blue beret. Haha.
Ex LEO = Lead, Excel, Overcome. (OCS motto)
That's it with signal institute. Everything they did had a meaning, they don't just plonk a name just cause its fanciful. You'll understand later.
Taiwan. Ex SPITFIRE. Not just some fancy name too.
72km walk with a 4 men detachment carrying a 6 men load. 2 x radio sets.
WALK TILL YOU CAN WALK NO MORE.
oh,
SPITFIRE = Signal Proficiency Identification Test For Individual Result Evaluation
Chim. I know.
Shit, I better stop here don't wanna get into trouble with MSD for some blogging shit. Anyway the Ex I mentioned here are all published in the OCS book given to all graduands so I know it's safe to mention them. Heh.
If meh meh wants to know more I can tell him online. HAHA!!
2LT SHAWN HENG
HQ 4SAB Sig Coy Ops Offr
'It can't rain all the time...'

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home